Today not properly called Borgo Cusenza, was a place already cited by Cordici(1586-1666) as “Bagghiu di l’Acci” and he stated the following: “There is no equal place in our territory like this feud(fego) where the cattle graze and give so sweet meat. In the underground there is a cave very deep and vast with dripping water, that percolating becomes like stone and seem to make white wax candles attached to the bed”.
It is known that the Cusenza Family from San Vito lo Capo lived once here in 1820 (Vincenzo Cusenza)but maybe, before that date. This village was called Bagghiu di l’Acci for the near Mount Acci and its inhabitants got the name of accialori. For a long time and up to 1920/30 the Cusenza family lived in the village all the year around. After that date it was inhabited only for some period of the year; in fact women and children got up there from San Vito in summer and they stayed there up to December, for the wheat seeding. Also men after the seeding went down to town for not leaving the village unattended and went up again anytime they had to do some work in the fields. Only shepherds lived there steadily. About 14 families, formed of 40 persons, including women and children, lived in the village. It was a self-sufficient patriarchal society.
The cultivation: wheat, oats, sulla(clover), broad bean sumach, ash tree, vineyard, palmet, and Ampelodesma gave the major income. Few the vegetables as tomatoes, marrows, onions. All the types of fruit: mulberry, apple-quince, pear, apple, fig, and Indian fig of best quality and without seeds.
The water: at about a kilometer and a half from the village there is a trough where you can read the date 1696; the water was drunk only by the animals, because it was far from the houses. A well was instead exploited and it was in the area in front of the houses, called “chianu puzzu” to water mules and vegetables. In the canal of Acci, there is a fountain with drinkable water where mules were loaded with quarantine.